Monday, November 24, 2008

Weekend Report: Deland

As I've been talking about for a while now, I had been planning for quite some time to go up to Deland during the weekend of November 22-23 to help them with their first Food Not Bombs sharing which coincided with the Deland Fall Downtown Arts Festival which my dad was displaying art in. It ended up being a jolly good weekend altogether, although only about 3 homeless people came to the Food Not Bombs sharing, and didn't even eat. On the positive side, a lot of people came out to help (Joe - I want those pictures!), I got to see some of my closest friends, and it was a very fun experience altogether. Also, my dad managed to pick up 2 awards in the art show - congrats to him!

For Food Not Bombs, we had a delicious batch of mashed potatoes, spaghetti, falafel, and mac and cheese (the only non-vegan food we had), and various other snacks and edibles. We served at Sunflower Park with no trouble from the cops or anything of the sort. Overall, it was a success - I just wish some homeless people would have actually come by and eaten.

The one thing that perplexed me about Deland was why the fuck Checkers seemed to be the hangout for everybody. And by everybody, I mean stupid townie and or "gangsta" teenagers with no lives - of which there were a lot. Also, some old guy barked at me - which I found to be really weird. I must say though, the Thai restaurant downtown is probably the best one I've ever eaten at - and I had no idea that I knew the owners. But doing so allowed me to eat there twice within 24 hours...we'll just say that.

Overall, it was a sweet time. I got back to Orlando this morning post Food Not Bombs breakfast sharing and hung out with Hugo, Daniel, Wes, and Nhac for the day. I look forward to enjoying the rest of the week off. Let's hang out!

No comments: